Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Its been a long time

I can't believe the whole of 2011 passed by without me posting a single thing!  
At a recent visit to the Ally Pally Big Stamp and Scrapbooking Show I bought some cute reels.  I had no idea what I was going to do with them until I managed to buy some measuring tape by the metre at a recent show in Brighton.



I got it into my head that they should go in some kind of frame and I had just the thing sitting at the top of the stairs!  Having recently had my hallway and stairs redecorated all the pictures were in a pile waiting to be sorted before being either rejected or re-hung.  Amongst them was a shadow box I had acquired several years earlier with samples of fabric and textures in the colours of my then decor.

Before





Sadly the depth of the frame was slightly smaller than the reels so I had to shave a little off them.  In the end that was a good call as I had a flat surface to attach them to the background.


Next thing was to cut out a dress form.  SVGcuts.com have some amazing kits on offer.  I used the Sew Crafty Kit that I managed to download during its free period. 


Having used plain brown card stock to cut my shape, I stuck some polyester wadding to front top half, covered it with a piece of old threadbare tea towel and voila! a padded dress form!





Next I stamped a swirly design on the "stand" and covered it in glossy accents to give some depth.  

The reels were covered using a mixture of bakers twine and embroidery silk to match the backing paper and pattern I had downloaded and printed off the web.  A little bit of inking on the body form, added some pins and buttons and a pair of steam punk scissors and my project was finished.












Apologies for the quality of the photographs even using an iphone I'm a rubbish photographer. 


Thank you for looking :)

6 comments:

  1. That's fabulous! Love all the miniature reels and tape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb I love it makes me want to have a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Tink - a reel work of art LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, lovely project!! and good to see you using your blog again Tinks! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Tink! Love it! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! have a great day! :p hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fantastic Tink, I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete